With most lenders in India offering online services, applying for a home loan has become easier than ever before. Read on to more about online vs. offline – home loan applications.
Buying a new home requires a significant investment. It is one of the most important financial decisions you may take in your life. And, choosing the best home loan offer is not as easy as it may seem. Most home loan applicants, especially first-time applicants, tend to feel overwhelmed with the various options available.
Until a decade or two ago, you had to personally visit the lender’s office to know about their offers. Today, with online services offered by the financial organisations, you now have the option to apply for a home loan online. Most lending institutions in India now allow the customers to apply for a home loan through their website or mobile application. However, some people feel apprehensive about online application.
Most people wonder if they should apply for home loan online or use the traditional way of visiting the lender’s office. If you, too, are deliberating the same, the following online vs. offline comparison will help you make an informed decision.
When you apply for a home loan online, you can easily know about the eligibility requirements of different lenders through their website. Additionally, you can also know beforehand about the maximum loan amount you can borrow based on your credit score, and income, by using online tools like home loan eligibility calculator. Thus, when you apply online, you can know your eligibility instantly.
On the other hand, if you go the offline route and visit the lender’s office to apply for a home loan, you can discuss the eligibility requirements with the loan officer. This can be a tedious process as you may approach different lenders to find the best lender to suit your needs.
One of the significant benefits of applying for a home loan online is that you can submit the necessary documents, including the application, residence proof, identify proof, photographs, etc. instantly when submitting your form. Additionally, most lenders have detailed information about the necessary documents to be provided. This helps borrowers to be prepared and gather the required papers before initiating the application process and avoid delays in the approval process.
In contrast, when you apply for a home loan offline, you may have to physically carry copies of the important documents. This involves a higher risk of losing an important document during transit.
The online home application process is convenient and easy. You must register on the lender’s website, fill the application form, and submit it along with the necessary documents from your home’s comfort. You can also make the required payments, including processing fee online.
The offline home application process, on the other hand, can be tedious and time-consuming. You must visit the lender’s office. Fill the loan application form, submit copies of the document through cheque or DD (Demand draft). This can take time and increase the approval time.
Now that you are aware of the benefits of applying for a home loan online, here a few do’s and don’ts, you must be aware.
- Check your lender-specific loan eligibility before starting the application process
- Go through the list of documents required by the lender and keep them handy during the application process
- Be sure of the type of loan you want to apply – home improvement loan, home construction loan, etc.
- Complete the full application process in one go
- It is a wise idea to read the FAQs before starting the application process
- Make sure to provide all the necessary details accurately
- Read the terms and conditions of the loan carefully before submitting your application
- Avoid submitting the application form without checking the maximum loan eligibility
- Unless it does not apply to you, never leave out any section blank in the application form
- Don’t forget to check your credit score before applying for a home loan